Soil Profile notes
- Soil profile is the cross-sectional soil layers from the surface of the soil down to bedrock
- O HORIZON- Organic Material, surface layer of partially or completely undecomposed plant residue
- A HORIZON- Top Soil, uppermost layer of soil. Contains decomposing organic material known as hummus and most of living organisms that dwell in soil
- B HORIZON- Subsoil, plant roots penetrate this area and there is less hummus and more inorganic content than the A.
- C HORIZON- Bedrock, predominantly made from the parent material for soil. Large unbroken pieces of rock are weathered to create inorganic components of soil